Friday, March 4, 2011

How to Avoid Sounding Like Just Another Sales Rep

By Ron LaVine, MBA
President of Accelerated Sales Training, Inc.

I once called on a large Telecomm seeking to find out if there was a need for a certain type of software. As I sought this information, one of the first individuals I encountered immediately asked, "What are you selling?"

I replied, very simply. I'm not selling anything since I don't even know if there is a need to sell something. Now maybe you can help me. We went round and round a few times until she finally understood what I was saying and transferred me to the individual I was seeking to speak with.

If you want to avoid sounding like another company trying to sell something, DON'T SELL. You're thinking right now, "Ron you're off your rocker." What do you mean, don't sell? That's what I'm hired to do. To which I replied I understand that making a sale is the overall goal of your position. However, before any sale (i.e. not a retail sale over the counter) of significance can take place, many questions need to be asked and answered and their answers agreed upon.

First, with how can you sell anyone anything unless you understand if there is a need to sell something? Therefore the solution is to STAY OUT of sales mode and STAY IN information mode. One of the many benefits of this approach is people let their defenses down when they feel they aren't being "sold". I find that people are more likely to assist you if you explain that you are not selling (and at this point of the sales cycle, in my opinion, you are not) but simply trying to determine if there is in fact, a need to sell something.

If you come off like a typical sales rep you'll be putting the cart before the horse. Instead, try playing the role of a newspaper reporter or "Columbo". Make it your first objective to seek "Just the facts and nothing but the facts" before trying to "sell something". You will quickly avoid "sounding like another company trying to sell something."

So when someone asks me what I'm selling, this how I reply. "How can I sell you anything unless I understand if there is a need for what I have to offer? I'm calling to determine if there is a need for my product or service." Remember "Understanding comes before Selling."™

By using information mode and seeking to understand how a company does business before trying to sell something, you will find the answers you need to indeed make a sale. There was wise person who said, "Seek first to understand and then be understood."

REPRINT PERMISSION
Ron LaVine, MBA is president and founder of Accelerated Sales Training, Inc., a cold call training firm located in Oak Park, CA. If you would like information on How to Make Successful Cold Calls – LIVE Call Training please call Ron at 818-519-3852 or visit www.ast-incorp.com. © 2011 by Accelerated Sales Training, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment